Monday, May 19, 2008

Personal Rule, as an Artist


I have a personal rule, as an artist, that I have to start a new project as I finish one. The reason for that is it's easy to make excuses as to why a new project can't be started if the materials or motivation isn't there. By my always getting a new project started, in some way, if helps me avoid excuses and it's great motivation to do more work.

The picture at the top of this post is my blank design wall, which is a no-no for me. To avoid having the wall be blank for more than a very short while, I decided to take advantage of yesterday's rainy (Sunday) afternoon, and my husband attending the Boston Celtics basketball game, by printing new fabric for my next works of art.


I don't usually do this, but I pinned a piece of a green (as opposed to orange) construction fence on my wall for a few minutes, so I could look at it and decide which orientation I wanted to have the ovals for printing it on fabric.


Then I set up my printing space and materials, and I monoprinted the fence pattern on four large pieces of fabric. This process took a little more than two hours. As I finished printing each piece, I hung it in my drying area (my bathroom shower) so it could dry, and then I printed the next piece until all four were completed. I also printed an extra piece of fabric that is about 18" wide, because as I was tearing fabric off the roll to print, there was a piece that had a odd seam sewn through it. I decided to print it to possibly use for my June 12 x 12 x 12 series piece.

I'll pin one piece of the fabric up on my empty design wall, when I start stitching Orange Construction Fence #60 tonight.