Monday, March 10, 2008

Thanking People

I love thanking people when appropriate. I've never been someone who writes letters complaining about something, but thanking people is another thing. That I do.

I grew up in Ipswich, Massachusetts and attended the Ralph C Whipple Memorial Junior High School (from 1969-1971). Many years ago, after reading in the Ipswich online newspaper that she was about to retire, I wrote to my 6th/7th grade Home Economics teacher to thank her for teaching me how to sew (besides what my mother taught me). I never heard back from her, but it felt good doing it.

I recently had an opportunity to do that again. A few years ago, I was reading Art New England, and saw a review of a local show, and the artist's name rang a bell. I was pretty certain that he was my Jr. High School art teacher, but didn't know how to find out, or find him. A week ago, I was looking on a local printmaking website, and I saw his name as a member, so I took the plunge, and wrote to ask him. YES! It was him, so I sent a note of thanks.

Now, if only I could find my high school art teacher to thank her. That would be fun!