Saturday, March 15, 2008

2008 Weekly Mixed Media Project

Above is my eleventh Weekly Mixed Media piece this year, and below is the back side of it.

Here are the steps I took to get to my finished product:

I had two strips of stitched fabric left over from my March 12x12x12 piece that I wanted to use this week.

I started with a black base of pre-felted wool as the base. I placed the two stitched strips on it for placement, and filled in sections around it with one grey square of pre-felted wool in the center, and four pieces of white wool felted fabric as shown.

I removed the stitched strips, and then I needle punched the wool pieces in to place, from the front side.

On the back side, I needle punched two pieces of light grey pre-felted wool in place on both sides of the center pieces already in place from the front side.

Also on the back side, I needle punched the top and bottom white strips from the back (black) side, so it looked a bit like scribbling on the front side.

Then I placed the two stitched strips back on the front side of the felt and machine sewed them in place. I added thin lines of stitching on the top and bottom white-ish strips, using grey thread, and cut it down to the 6" square size.

While this might not be the strongest piece visually, I think this is step in the right direction for trying to find a way to merge wool needle punching (felting) and painted/stitched cotton fabric. I'd like to try to work in this direction when possible.

You can see my 2008 weekly mixed media work (so far) on my website, and read about my process/progress here on my blog.