Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Football Pool and Hand Sewing - Final Report


On October 16th, I posted about my participation in a football pool. My goal was to NOT come in last in to the pool, and to get some hand sewing done during the football season.

I have to explain that I know absolutely nothing about football, nor am I interested in learning. I have tried repeatedly to learn the basics of the game, but it goes in one ear and out the other. When I was in high school, I had a foster brother who was the star of our high school football team. He made a 99 yard touchdown once. That I understood.

As an adult, my husband and friends have tried to explain the rules to me again and again and I just don't get it. If the social event of the evening is watching a football game, I bring some hand sewing so I don't get bored.

So you're probably reading this and wondering "why on earth would she participate in a football pool, if she knows nothing about football and doesn't care about it?" Here's the answer to your question.....

I have always wondered how I would do in a football pool, if I chose the teams ether by my favorite city/state, or by which team has the nicest looking uniforms. Choosing by uniform is a lot of work, so I nixed that one. Instead I chose the better city or state of each match-up. To do this, I usually chose the more funky places that I have visited or would like to visit, or those with a cooler climate since I am not a warm weather person. There were some weeks that both cities/states were high on my list of desirable places, and there are other weeks when both places were not desirable. Under both circumstances I had decisions to make.

I noticed that the first part of the season everyone was choosing what appeared randomly to me, since no one knew how good or bad any of the teams were. At week six, I was in first place. The middle of the season, everyone seemed to know who the good teams were, except me, and I wasn't doing very well. I think I was in fifth or sixth place (out of seven). I kept with my strategy, while my pool-mates chose by the better team or the spread. I must admit that I did not enjoy doing so poorly, but I kept going.

Seventeen weeks of the football season have gone by quickly. The pool came to the end this past Sunday. I am very proud to say that I came in 3rd place! (If Tennessee had won by one more point Sunday night, I would have tied for second place.)

I never thought I'd do so well. I also won four (out of 17) weeks for having the most correct picks per week. (One pool member won five times, I won four, two people tied with three.)

I didn't get very much hand sewing done because I only "watched" one game. I guess I can try to make up for that if we go to a Super Bowl party.