Saturday, January 5, 2008

12 x 12 x 12 January 2008


I finished my first 12 x 12 x 12 of 2008. I'm really inspired by a construction project in downtown Natick Mass (where I live), because of the black and white, and the grids. I have mentioned this project a few times on this blog, but most recently on December 21st.


I had an idea in mind about how I was going to create this piece, but I sorta got the scale of the "windows" wrong for the 12" x 12" size. I should have used a smaller grid of orange construction fence when I got started, so the "windows" here are way too large, in my opinion. Since I have a rule that I have to finish what I started each month, I made it work as best as I could, even if it wasn't what I had planned.

To print the orange construction fence, I used Pro Chemical and Dye's "Jet Black" PROfab Textile Paint. Then I hand painted the rest of this piece with Golden Fluid Acrylics. One of the colors was "Micaceous Iron Oxide", which has actual pieces of mica in it. I'm not so sure my sewing machine needle liked that too much. There was a sandpaper-like sound when I saw stitching over those sections. I have to admit that I really liked using "Iridescent Silver (fine)" and "Iridescent Pearl (fine)" more than the Deka Permanent Fabric Paints of similar colors. Much nicer consistency of paint, and much nicer surface when it dried.

If you want to know more about this series, you can read past posts about my 12 x 12 x 12 series here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.