Friday, December 7, 2007

12 x 12 x 12 December - in progress


I've been working my December 12 x 12 x 12 piece. My inspiration is the pictures of a building I saw under construction near Fenway Park in Boston, that I posted on November 20th. I started with one piece of fabric that I printed an orange construction fence, and a small piece of silk that has a different fence pattern.


Then I painted the colors from the building on the fabric with fabric paint, and added layers of a semi-opaque white metallic white paint on top of the bright colors, to tone it down. I painted a few different layers of the white, and I may have overdone it. The fabric paint can't be removed, so I have to live with what I've got.

I've been struggling with the overall design of this piece all week. The blue and orange rectangles on the right side are bothering me. I'm not sure if it needs more pattern, or if the problem is that the orange section is too centered on the piece. I placed a 12" x 12" template on the piece, and moved it slightly to try to figure out the final design. The picture above, and the two below, are playing with different ways of cropping it.




I'm going to mess around with it some more, and will post the finished piece, after I figure out how to save it. My rule is to never give up on the piece I'm working on. I'll figure out how to get it to a point that I'm pleased with.