Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Painting on Fabric with Golden Liquid Acrylic Paints


I grabbed a few minutes this past weekend and tried using the Golden Liquid Acrylics on fabric. Above is the front side of the fabric, and below is the back side. I am very interested in how the paint looks on both sides of the fabric because sometimes I use the back side as the "front" side of the fabric. You can see an example of my appreciation for both sides of the fabric here.


I have more research to do about using the Golden Liquid Acrylics on fabric. Visually they are great, but texturally, the fabric is REALLY stiff.

To soften it up, it was recommended that I get some "GAC 900 Fabric Painting Medium" to soften up the paint texture. I did some research, and the description of the fabric medium is "GAC 900 is a liquid acrylic polymer emulsion which when heat-set offers a very soft hand and laundering stability. This product is most useful to artists painting on clothing. GAC 900 can be blended with various acrylic colors to produce fabric paints that can be airbrush, hand brush or screen applied."

Without the medium, the paints do not wash out of the fabric when washed. I know this because I threw this sample in the washer and dryer yesterday, to see if that might soften it up. It didn't soften up, and the paints didn't change, at all.

I have to go in to Boston next week, so I'll try to stop by the art supply store and pick up some "GAC 900 Fabric Painting Medium".