Wednesday, October 17, 2007

12 x 12 x 12 October


From 1999-2005 I made a small quilt a week, which I discuss in my book The Uncommon Quilter. This year I am making one 12" x 12" piece a month.

For my October piece, I tried a different technique than usual. Instead of using fabric paint, I used discharge paste to make prints of some construction fences on black fabric. Then I did something else that I almost never do, I hand stitched the entire piece instead of sewing it by machine. I LOVE the look of hand stitching, but usually don't do it because of how long it takes and how sore my fingers get while doing it. Because this piece is small, and the black fabric is softer than the white fabric I usually use, it didn't take that long hand sew it and it didn't hurt that much. I am very happy with how this turned out.

You can read more about my 12 x 12 x 12 project on my website and here on my blog.

This 12 x 12 x 12 piece is not the piece I blogged yesterday when I discussed hand stitching and my football pool yesterday. That piece is similar, but will be larger when completed.