Friday, May 18, 2007

Feedback/Comments

While I do have comments turned off on my blog, but that doesn't mean I don't want to discuss my work. I just prefer discussing it via email, phone or in person. This morning I got an email from my (art) friend Catherine Carter that I wanted to share, with her permission:

"Hi, Jeanne -- It's so interesting, in reading your latest blog entry, how similar working with fabrics is to working with paints. 

You've added the transparent strips to "quiet down" certain areas of color visually.  A painter (in acrylic) would do exactly that by adding a layer of gel medium.  The same artistic principles and personal intentions apply, just the materials are different.

Or adding the strips of gray stitching are like drawing "lines" across a form that has become too dominant.

Very fascinating to me, the similarities and differences!"  - Catherine Carter.

------
Thanks for noticing the similarities Catherine! You hit the nail right on the head, of what I'm trying to do. Now to get the rest of the Art World to see that people can work in fiber, and it's still art. - Jeanne