Monday, August 10, 2020

New Work: Hoping to Avoid a Second Wave #1


The Covid-19 numbers in Massachusetts were pretty low for much of the summer, but started inching up in August as people grow restless and want to socialize and travel in the warm weather. My family and I are being diligent and not taking risks unless we have to, but as I walk around my neighborhood and see big parties, I am filled with a range of feelings about it. This painting is trying to express visually what I'm feeling inside.

This piece is created using monoprinted the texture of a construction fence, combined with handpainting and stitching on fabric. The top whole cloth layer of the fence is stitched to the drop cloth foundation below. The fence “holes” are cut away so drop cloth pattern can be seen through the fence. The two layers of fabric are then stiffened, cut and shifted to create a fractured design.

Hoping to Avoid a Second Wave #1 measures 11.5" x 8.75".