Monday, June 1, 2020

Work in Progress: Dates in a Life Project 2020


Here is work in progress through May on my Dates in a Life Project 2020, a year-long painting project documenting the number of steps I walked, and the number of flights of stairs I climbed, each day. I am proud to say that from April 28th through May 31st, I walked 10,000 steps or more (the red shapes) for 34 days and counting (I hope) as exercise and as a stress reducer. It's so much easier to walk because the sun doesn’t go down until 8pm or later, and I'm also working at home and don't have commuting time added to my day. I'm going to try to keep this pace up, but once it gets hot and humid here, I doubt I can do it.

May 2020 was a weird month in terms of weather in Massachusetts. We had snow one day, and it was hot and humid and near 90 on three days.


One set of marks not reflected on this painting yet is bike riding. I bought a bike on May 26th after not riding since 1984. I'm trying to decide how to best make marks reflecting the number of miles I'm riding, in addition the number of steps I walk. I have an idea but I don't want to rush into it. 

Starting on March 13, and continuing until it's over, I am adding silver underlines for everyday we’re home for the Coronavirus, unless it rains, and then I add blue. This painting is mixed media on stiffened fabric. I keep track of my steps using the Pedometer app in my iPhone.