Wednesday, March 25, 2020

New Work: Covid-19 Worries About Kidney Recipients


My family began 2020 hoping we would all be free of health concerns for a while, after my son received a new kidney in October 2019, and I donated one in December.

While I worry about everyone getting sick, I especially worry about my son who lives in Seattle, and Ruth, the recipient of my kidney who lives in Wisconsin, and all kidney recipients who are immunocompromised.

This painting was created with collaged acrylic skins of a photo of Covid-19 that are collaged on stiffened monoprinted fabric that is machine stitched with black. The red stitched line represents the scar of most recipients, which usually go horizontally a little below the panty line. The black lace ovals represent panties, and are actually from an older pair of mine. (I hope that’s not TMI.)

Covid-19 Worries About Kidney Recipients measures 7.5" x 7.5" and is Mixed media on stiffened fabric.