Saturday, March 14, 2020

New Work: 54 Scars, 54 Kidney Donors

 

54 Scars, 54 Kidney Donors shows a visual interpretation of the scars of 54 kidney donors from a Facebook page I’m on. The page exists as a support group for kidney donors and potential donors. I asked group members if they would be willing to tell me if their scars are vertical, horizontal or laparoscopic, and how many they have, so I could make a painting about it. Each donor is represented in individual their own “square”. I flattened the scars out because some laparoscopic scars are on the donor’s side. I drew the scars with red paint, hand stitched them with red embroidery thread, and machine stitched the edges of the “squares” with black thread.

54 Scars, 54 Kidney Donors is mixed media on stiffened fabric. It measures 21.75” x 36.25”.