Saturday, February 1, 2020

Work Still in Progress - Dates in a Life: Kidney Donation


Work Still in Progress - Dates in a Life: Kidney Donation documents time after I was accepted as a kidney donor, and everything connected on my end toward my son receiving a kidney, my donation in December 2019, and through yesterday.

This image shows the 196 days and counting since I was accepted as a kidney donor. I’m going to continue for another 28 days. Then I may or may not make a third painting.

The second image is this painting in progress next to my first one, Dates in a Life: Kidney Donor.


There are symbols that represent applying, each medical test (urine, blood, x-rays, and scans), phone calls or emails with the medical team about testing, travel across the US to the hospital for some of the tests, talking to kidney donors, recipients and my son, as well as his transplant, my donation, the anniversary of my father passing away after his transplant 44 years ago, and just passing time while I waited to donate and after I donated.

I decided not to use a calendar format, as I did for my Dates in a Life (Walking) Project paintings. The thin white lines under a square highlight Saturdays and Sundays to give a sense of time.

The painting is created with monoprinted textures of a construction fence as the background, handstamped rubber erasers on fabric which are collaged on the background grid, as well as handpainting and stitching on stiffened fabric.