Sunday, February 2, 2020

Work in Progress - Dates in a Life Walking Project 2020


New work in progress, through January, Dates in a Life Walking Project 2020, a year-long painting documenting the number of steps I walk each day. I've documented my steps in paintings for the years 2016 through 2019 and I decided to do it in 2020 again.

I prefer to walk for exercise, as time permits, outside in addition to whatever other walking I do as I go about my day. My goal is to walk as much as I can every day. 

I use the Pedometer app on my iPhone to document my steps, miles, and stairs climbed.

I use a system of symbols to represent each thousand steps. Instead of showing exactly how many I walk. The black icons represent up to 9999 steps walked each day, red represents 10,000-19,999 steps and yellow represents 20,000-29,999 steps. 

This year, the daily background color will change depending on how many tens of flights of steps I climb each day. Turquoise is for 1-10 floors, Green is for 11-20, Indian Yellow is for 21-30 and Red is for 31+ floors. If there is a glitch in my phone, and days that don’t register any floors will be underlined with white.


The painting is created with monoprinted textures of a construction fence as the background, handstamped rubber erasers on fabric which are collaged on the background grid, as well as handpainting and stitching on stiffened fabric.