Monday, November 5, 2018

Update: Dates in a Life Project 2018


I’m two months away from finishing my Dates in a Life Project 2018

This image shows what it looks like through October 31, 2018. The Dates in a Life Project is a year-long mixed media painting documenting the number of steps I walk each day.

I have a system of symbols that represent each thousand steps. Instead if showing exactly how many I walk each day, I’m rounding up or down. As an example, 1500-2499 steps equals 2000, and 2500-3499 equals 3000 steps.


Black symbols represent less than 10,000 steps walked on a given day.''

The symbols in red represent 10,000 or more steps, which I was able to walk on 7 days in October vs. 15 in August. In October it rained a lot and I've also been very busy with various things, and the sun was setting close to 6pm, all of which limited the amount of time I had to walk outside each day. 

It's going to get more challenging walking outside as winter approaches and the sun sets at around 4:30 thanks to changing the clocks Saturday night.

I must say though that walking has also been very therapeutic this past month, as well as a form as exercise.

Dates in a Life Project 2018 measures 33" x 39" and is created with monoprinted textures of a construction fence, combined with handpainting, stitching, and collaged fabric, on stiffened fabric.

To keep track of steps, I use the Health app on my iPhone. It's not always accurate, but I continue to use it anyway because I don't want to buy a FitBit.

Stay tuned for an update after the end of November.