Tuesday, May 29, 2018

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 May 2018


My 12 x 12 x 12 May 2018 painting was inspired once again by my husband who has been taking a photo that incorporates the sock he is wearing that day that he then posts on his instagram account. 

The photo below is from sometime in April. I liked it because it’s of some pillows on the bed in our guest room and I not only like the color, but I also like the texture of the quilted fabric. His black and white striped sock is mostly hidden between two pillows.

I printed four laser prints of it on paper and then mounted and rotated them on board, with a layer of pieces of a stitched monoprinted construction fence collaged on top. I also added lines of paint around the “holes” in the fence.

I don’t love this painting, but it’s done. Hopefully I'll have more time to focus and work on June's painting and I'll feel better about it.

I've been working on my 
12 x 12 x 12 series since January 2007. I'm now in my 12th year. It has given me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month, no matter how many other things are going on that month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. This series is really about experimentation and creating something on a regular basis, no matter what else is going on in my life. Sometimes I like a piece, and sometimes not.