Sunday, January 14, 2018

Update: Dates in a Life Project 2018


I’ve reworked how I’m going to document my steps on my Dates in a Life Project 2018 which is a year-long painting documenting the number of steps I walk each day. This photo shows the results from the first two weeks of 2018.

A week ago I tried using small black dots for each thousand steps and white does for hundreds. Not only was it too literal, graphically a year of just dots was going to be very boring.

So, I’ve worked out a system of symbols to represent each thousand steps. Instead of showing exactly how many I walk each day, I’m rounding up or down. As an example, 2000-2499 steps equals 2000, and 2500-3000 equals 3000 steps. 

My goal is to walk as much as I can every day. I prefer to walk for exercise, as time permits, outside in addition to whatever other walking I do as I go about my day.

This piece measures 33" x 39" and is created with monoprinted textures of a construction fence, combined with handpainting, stitching, and collaged fabric, on stiffened fabric.

To keep track of steps, I'm using the Health app in my iPhone. 

There solid white squares in the Saturday and Sunday columns because I usually have more time to walk on the weekend, and I've caught up on sleep and therefore more energy to exercise.

It was suggested that I take a picture each day when walking, as further documentation. I tried to do that but it was too much to remember. Oh well. It was a great idea though.

Stay tuned for updates during the year.