Monday, January 1, 2018

Dates in a Life Project 2018


Happy New Year!

My Dates in a Life Project 2017, which documented the expiration and purchase dates of my family's milk purchases in 2017 is finished, and now it's time for a new year-long art piece.

Today I'm beginning my Dates in a Life Project 2018 which will document the number of steps I walk each day. 

My goal is to walk as much as I can every day. I prefer to walk for exercise, as time permits, outside in addition to whatever other walking I do as I go about my day.

This piece measures 33" x 39" and is created with monoprinted textures of a construction fence, combined with handpainting, stitching, and collaged fabric, on stiffened fabric.

There solid white squares in the Saturday and Sunday columns because I usually have more time to walk on the weekend, and I've caught up on sleep and therefore more energy to exercise.

To keep track of steps, I'll be using the Health app in my iPhone. 

To document how many steps walkedI'll be painting different sizes of black dots to show thousands and hundreds.

We're starting off the year with dangerously cold temperatures. Because I can't walk outside today, and there will be other days I won't be able to walk or walk as much as I'd like to due to snow and ice, extremely hot or cold temperatures, pouring rain, being sick (as a few examples), I've decided that I'm going to sometimes document them with paint in the stitching below each square. Each explanation, good or bad, will be color coded. The color choices for each one will be determined soon.

It was suggested that I take a picture each day when walking as further documentation. I love that idea, and will try to do that and share the pictures as well.

Hopefully I'm not going to humiliate myself by doing this project. And hopefully it'll encourage me to walk more.

Stay tuned for updates during the year.