Sunday, December 24, 2017

New Work: 12 x 12 x12 December 2017


12 x 12 x 12 December 2017 was created with a piece of fabric monoprinted with a square shaped construction fence, acrylic skins of photos of my kitchen colander, and commercial fabric, all leftover from my October 12 x 12 x12 piece (see below).

The black and white skin was from pictures of the colander I used on my front step during the eclipse in August. The red, orange and blues weird scribble fabric is one of my favorite commercial fabrics because it looks handmade.


I've been working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series since January 2007, and the December 2017 piece completes my 11th year of this series. It has given me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month, no matter how many other things are going on that month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. This series is really about experimentation and creating something on a regular basis, no matter what else is going on in my life. Sometimes I like a piece, and sometimes not.

I will be continuing this series through 2018. I've already purchased the 12 boards, and I'm looking forward to see where my creativity takes me next year.