Wednesday, November 30, 2016

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 November 2016


This month has been crazy busy with many things going on, including Thanksgiving week travel. Because I didn't have time to start making my 12 x 12 x 12 November 2016 piece before going away on the Monday the 21st, it meant I started it Tuesday the 29th in the evening, and finished it less than 24 hours later. Normally I would want a week or so to consider what I might want to create and make it. 

While working on this piece, I kept wondering if I had already made the exact same design, but didn't look at previous images until I was putting the finishing touches on it. I found that in April (below), I made one with similar printed fabric and acrylic skins, but it's different enough. Phew!

In Autumn 2015 I took hundreds of photos of leaves or pine needles to use in the 2016 12 x 12 x 12 series as acrylic skins. Part of the challenge has been to figure out different ways to incorporate them each month. Sometimes it's more obvious than others. This month it's very obvious.

This is my tenth year working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series. It gives me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much.