Sunday, October 30, 2016

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 October 2016


I finished my 12 x 12 x 12 October 2016, a collage made from leftovers found in my studio, with barely anytime to spare. I create one piece every month, and this was an especially busy month (in a good way), and I almost didn't get it done! 

It incorporates remnants from the colorful monoprinted and stitched fabric leftover from the commission I created over the summer, and also some small round pieces of the acrylic skins of photos from last autumn.

This is my tenth year working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series. It gives me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much.

Last autumn I took hundreds of photos of leaves or pine needles to use in the 2016 12 x 12 x 12 series. Part of the challenge is to figure out different ways to incorporate them each month. Sometimes it's more obvious than others, especially this month.