Saturday, September 17, 2016

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 September 2016


12 x 12 x 12 September 2016 is a collage made from leftovers found in my studio. 

It incorporates remnants from the colorful monoprinted and stitched fabric leftover from the commission I created over the summer, black and white ovals leftover from previous projects over the years, and also some thin scraps from the acrylic skins of photos from last autumn.

This is my tenth year working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series. It gives me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much.

Last autumn I took hundreds of photos of leaves or pine needles to use in the 2016 12 x 12 x 12 series. Part of the challenge is to figure out different ways to incorporate them each month. Sometimes it's more obvious than other times.