Monday, August 8, 2016

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 August 2016


Introducing 12 x 12 x 12 August 2016. 

Experimenting with colorful monoprinted fabric again, I decided to also use acrylic markers. Unfortunately, the purple marker leaked at the upper left corner, and again down that side, when I was trying to make dots inside the red squares. I decided to make lemonade out of lemons, because I had to, since I have a personal rule that when creating this monthly series that I can not throw anything out once I've started.

At the bottom is an acrylic skin of a photo from last fall of a neighbor's lawn with leaves. In the center is an acrylic skin with colorful thread scraps, suggesting a plant growing on the lawn. I made a number of these thread scrap skins a few years ago but didn't use them. This was a good opportunity to try it out. I'm not sure if I like it or not. I need to think about it some more.

This is my tenth year working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series. It gives me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much.

Last autumn I took hundreds of photos of leaves or pine needles to use in the 2016 12 x 12 x 12 series. Part of the challenge is to figure out different ways to incorporate them each month.