Friday, August 5, 2016

New Home: Tallis and Fence #4


Tallis and Fence #4 has a new home in California. Thank you to the collector!

The Tallis and Fence series is created with acrylic "skins" created from photos of my grandfather's tallis that are collaged on monoprinted textures of construction fences on stitched and painted fabric that is mounted on 8" x 6" x 1" cradled board. 

I created this series when I was the Artist-in-Residence at the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute at Brandeis University, Waltham, MA for a month in 2014. I worked on site for four weeks at the Kniznick Gallery, where I created a series of Jewish wedding canopies, or chuppot, to be displayed in the gallery during the exhibition. I created the Tallis and Fence series at the same time, because the tallis is commonly used as a chauppah at weddings.