Tuesday, June 28, 2016

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 June 2016


June was another busy month, but I was able to find the time to create 12 x 12 x 12 June 2016. I was definitely trying to be more playful with patterning this month.

This piece is made as a collage, on board, with random strips of monoprinted construction fence fabric running horizontally. Then I added thin pieces of acrylic skins of photos, of a neighbor's lawn with leaves last fall, in between the random stitched lines on the fabric. Above the skins are small red lines and orange dots from acrylic paint markers. 


This is my tenth year working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series. It gives me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much. The only rules I have are that I have make something in the given month, and I can't throw the work out, even if it's unsuccessful.

Last autumn I took hundreds of photos of leaves or pine needles to use in the 2016 12 x 12 x 12 series. Part of the challenge is to figure out different ways to incorporate them each month.