Tuesday, April 26, 2016

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 April 2016


This month, I created 12 x 12 x 12 April 2016, a collaged painting which is made with monoprinted construction fence fabric and acrylic skins of photos of pine needles and leaves on the road. If April wasn't as busy as it is, I may have pushed this piece a bit further, but the month ends in four days and I have no more time to work on it.

This is my tenth year working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series. It gives me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much. The only rules I have are that I have make something in the given month, and I can't throw the work out, even if it's unsuccessful.

Last autumn I took hundreds of photos of leaves or pine needles to use in the 2016 12 x 12 x 12 series. I look forward to using more of them for the rest of the year. I'm also using autumn photographs in a series that's in process. More about that at a later date.