Sunday, March 13, 2016

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 March 2016


12 x 12 x 12 March 2016 is a collaged painting made with monoprinted construction fence fabric and acrylic skins of photos of weeds and leaves on the side of the road. 

My plan, just like in February, was to stitch the fabric with my sewing machine before mounting it on the board. But, my sewing machine died at the very end of February when I was hemming a new pair of jeans, and it spent a few weeks in the sewing machine hospital. This piece was almost complete by the time I got it back. Last month I was going to sew, but the power went out the weekend I was doing the finishing touches on my February piece. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to sew my April piece now that I have my sewing machine back again.

Last autumn I took hundreds of photos of leaves or pine needles to use in the 2016 12 x 12 x 12 series. I look forward to using more of them for the rest of the year. I'm also using autumn photographs in a series that's in process. More about that in a month or so.

This is my tenth year working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series. It gives me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much. The only rules I have are that I have make something in the given month, and I can't throw the work out, even if it's unsuccessful.