Saturday, March 22, 2014

Artist-in-Residence: Day 5


This is a picture of the full 4' x 8' piece of chuppah fabric from the detail I posted on Thursday. It's not totally finished, but enough so to share. Stamping, and handpainting the centers, of up to 1000 ovals was back breaking, but well worth it in the end.

There is also a third 4' x 8' fabric that is just about complete, that I'll post next week. I left it drying on the table yesterday, so I couldn't photograph it. It's totally different than the two others I've made.

Up next for the two new pieces is maybe some stitching. Then I'll stiffen all three fabrics, and trim the white edges off all four sides. And I'll also be painting more fabric next week and the week after, but not all 4' x 8'. I plan on making some smaller square chuppahs, and maybe some long narrow ones.

All of this work is produced as the Artist-in-Residence, at the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute in the Women’s Studies Research Centerat Brandeis. I've completed one week and will be working on site until April 11th from noon - 5pm (and sometimes as late as 8pm). Come visit between noon - 5.