Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Artist-in-Residence: Day 3



Here I am pushing past my comfort zone by printing and painting with color (instead of my usual black), as the Artist-in-Residence at the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute in the Women’s Studies Research Centerat Brandeis University in Waltham, MA.


Even though it's not totally finished, this is the first chuppah I've made so far. There is no black paint, though it does have black thread for the stitching. It'll look much better after I stiffen it and trim the white fabric boarder off the edges. This piece is a modern version of the chuppah I made for my wedding in 1982, and I struggled from start to (just about) finish making it.

I am at Brandeis weekdays from noon - 5pm through April 11th working on site in the Kniznick Gallery. I'm creating a series of Jewish wedding canopies, or chuppot, to be displayed at an exhibition, Under Color, at the Kniznick Gallery from April 14 - May 22, 2014.

Please feel free to stop by while I'm working in the gallery, or during the exhibit, or both.