Friday, February 7, 2014

12 x 12 x 12 February 2014


I am very excited about the 12 x 12 x 12 I created for February. For months I’ve been experimenting with how to incorporate photos in my work. This month I cut the photo and tiled it on the stitched monoprint of a construction fence.

Previously I used photos for my January 12 x 12 x 12, and in my Jumbled up Fence Photos Collage series.

In January, the whole photo was layered over the stitched mono printed of fence pattern.

For the Fence Photos Collage series, I cut into the photos, and positioned them around the monoprints.

Next up, I think, is a series of photos of my grandfather’s Tallis (Jewish prayer shawl) that will be incorporated with stitched monoprints of fence patterns. This series will be a created to link the use of the Tallis with a series of Chappahs  (Jewish wedding canopies), I’ll be creating when I’m the Artist-in-Residence at the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute at Brandeis University from March 17 - April 11, 2014. More info about that soon.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series is my monthly time to play with materials or an idea. I just started my eighth year working on this series. Each piece is mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. You can read past posts about this series here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.