Friday, December 27, 2013

2013 Art in Review and What’s Coming Up in 2014

I had a good year of art, and art related activities, in 2013.

When creating new art, I tried new techniques, and added a lot of color to my work, all while continuing to use monoprints of construction fences as the basis of my work.

While playing with color, I was reminded of how much I enjoyed my color theory classes that were taught by Rafael Ferrer when I attended Philadelphia College of Art (now the University of the Arts) in the late 1970s.

New work, in more-or-less reverse order of creation:

Mixed media on 9" x 12" x .75" cradled board

Mixed media on 10" x 10" x 1.5" cradled board




Mixed media on 16" x 16" x 1.5" cradled board

Mixed media on 18" x 18" x 1.5" cradled board 

Mixed media on stiffened fabric. Sizes vary. The biggest is 47" x 40"   


12 x 12 x 12 2013 series
Mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board

Exhibits:

Two-person show:
On and Off the Grid, Marie Craig and Jeanne Williamson, Fountain Street Fine Art, Framingham, MA

Invitational shows:

Natural Selection, Fountain Street Fine Art, Framingham, MA.

Nature's Mark: Printing on Fiber, curated by Bruce Hoffman at the Hunterdon Art Museum, Clinton, NJ.

A Room of Our Own, curated by Merill Comeau at the Concord Art Association, in Concord, MA.

Exponential: Four Artists Explore Infinity, Catherine Carter, Sand T Kalloch, Nancy Natale, and Jeanne Williamson. This show was curated by Catherine Carter, and was on exhibit at The Gallery at Mount Ida College, Newton, MA.

Juried shows:
Community of Artists, Danforth Art, Framingham, MA

Cotton, juried by Joanne Mattera, and on exhibit at Fountain Street Fine Art, Framingham, MA.

Installations:





Fence Holes Bandage 2.0 was on exhibit at Art in the Park, in Elm Park, in Worcester MA, this past summer. 

 My work was installed at Bartlett Yards, a community based art and culture series in the Roxbury neighborhood in Boston, MA, last summer. Almost 100 artists from the Boston area, most of whom create grafitti, gathered one Saturday in May to participate in a wonderful day of art making. I’ll never forget it.   

Work sold:
Meditech (Medical Information Technology, Inc.) purchased Fences and Nests #5, 6, 8, 9 and 12, which are now on display in a conference room in their Westwood, MA facility. The Fences and Nests are mixed media on cradled board, that measure 16" x 12" x 1.5".  

A private collector in Maryland commissioned The Fence As Lace #14, mixed media on stiffened fabric that measures 62" x 95". I am especially proud to be a part of her large collection. 

A private collector in Michigan bought Drop Cloth Collage with Fence #6, mixed media on cradled board, that measures 10" x 10" x 1.5". I am thankful for her interest in my work. 

Licensed artwork:
I licensed a number of images to various venues, but I am most proud to have licensed one image that's currently being sold at Crate & Barrel. Seasonal Fences - Spring #3 measures 60" x 30" framed. I signed each print before it was framed, which was fun and exciting to do. Seasonal Fence Print is a glicee print of Seasonal Fences - Spring #3, which is mixed media on cradled board, and measures 22" x 10" x 1". It's one in a 20-piece series that I made in 2011.

Representation:
I changed galleries this year in Philadelphia. I am now being represented by the Gravers Lane Gallery, which I am very pleased about.   

Award
I am proud to have received a 2013 A.R.T. Fund Award: which is supported by the Artist’s Resource Trust, a fund of Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation. A list of all grantees will be posted on their website in the next month or so.  
deCordova
The deCordova Museum of Art Corporate Art Loan Program in Lincoln, MA has continued the placement my work in at HC Pro, Inc, a corporate setting, through October 2014.

Book
My how-to crafts book, Uncommon Cards, was released in June by Running Press. 

Web Design
It was a good year for my web design business, Thread Media, Inc. I have number of new clients, and I continue to update the websites of those who I have been working with for many years.

What's Coming Up in 2014 (So Far)

I have many ideas for new work to create in 2014. 

Over the next few months, I will participate in the following:

Flirt,  an invitational group show curated by Martha Wakefield at the Mother Brook Art and Community Center in Dedham, MA. 
I will be an Artist-in-Residence, at the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute, at Brandeis University in Waltham, MA, from March 17 - April 11, 2014. I'll be working on a mixed media huppah series: fence-patterned huppahs (Jewish wedding canopies) to suggest the protection of the future the couple will build together.

A solo show at the Kniznick Gallery at the Women’s Studies Research Center at Brandeis University in Waltham, MA, from April 14 through May 2014. The show will be of the work created while being an Artist-in-Residence at Brandeis.
An invitational group show, A Room of Our Own, at the Yamawki Art and Cultural Center at Lasell College in Newton, MA, upcoming later in 2014.
I signed the paperwork for my print at C&B to be on Property Brothers on HGTV. I don't know when it'll air, but I'll be on the look out for it. If you're not familiar with the Property Brothers, read this recent article about them in the Boston Globe

And also art related...
If you or someone you know is interested in art coaching, I am available for consultation. More information about that soon, or send me an email now to learn more sooner than later.

I'm waiting to hear if I'm accepted for a few art fellowships, and more art licensing arrangements. I look forward to making more art, to working on more web design, and also the social media for a new local arts organization which is very exciting, which I'll share more about in the coming months.

I hope you have a happy, healthy and art-filled 2014!