Friday, May 24, 2013

12 x 12 x 12 May 2013



When I changed my vacuum cleaner filter a few weeks ago, I found a beautifully dirty fiber filter with dark hexagons, and I felt inspired to use it in my work.

Because I didn't want to use the actual dusty and dirty filter, I scanned it and then made a skin from the photograph, which I placed over some fabric that was monoprinted with hexagon garden fencing. For the finishing touches for my 12 x 12 x 12 May 2013, I also painted some of the hexagons.

I'm also working on a piece that measures 10" x 10" as a gift for a certain young man I gave birth to who is getting his PhD in Math shortly, who told me he loves hexagons. I'll post a picture of that piece after it's been gifted, most likely sometime in July.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series is my monthly time to play with materials or an idea. This is the seventh year I've been working on this series. Each piece is mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. If you want to know more about the 12 x 12 x 12 series, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.