In May 2010 I installed two pieces of art in my yard, one on the front and one in the back. I took pictures of each one on a regular basis, in different seasons and weather conditions, to document how fabric installations do out in the elements over time. I posted them here on this blog and also on my website.
In the back, I installed Weathered Fences #7, mixed media on stiffened fabric, that measured 38" w x 49+" h.
This piece, besides being an installation, also became a trellis for a fall blooming clematis.
Over the years, the piece has survived very well, even after blowing over a number of times in high wind.
This past winter, we had a number of blizzards, and it took the brunt of it. It blew over a number of times, and was covered in heavy snow on an angle for a while, which caused the fabric to rip.
Because of the torn fabric, and the green algae that’s been growing on it for quite a while, I have not been happy with how it looked.
Even though it still has life left to it, and it’s not aging any worse than other sculptures created by other artists in my postage-stamp size yard, I decided that it was time to take it down.
Yesterday, I took it off the frame. I’m going to design a replacement piece to install on the existing frame ASAP.