Wednesday, April 17, 2013

12 x 12 x 12 April 2013



Continuing with what so far this year is my interest in altering, interrupting or cutting into the pattern of grids, my April piece has a monoprinted and painted construction fence pattern that references maps, probably of a wooded area, that might have roads or paths going through it. I've got many ideas to work with with this concept, and will consider more possibilities.

I can't help but note that while I have been working along this line of thinking, and as I follow the news about the bombings at the Boston Marathon on Monday, I gain even more design ideas when looking at the pattern of Boston streets highlighted in the crime zone map. I think that's partly because I'm working on this series (in a series), and partly because I live in the Boston area, that I love that neighborhood, and that I've always thought about it from street level, not it's mapped pattern.

The 12 x 12 x 12 series is my monthly time to play with materials or ideas. This is my seventh year working on this series. Each piece is mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. If you want to know more about the 12 x 12 x 12 series, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.