Monday, January 21, 2013

12 x 12 x 12 January 2013



I'm continuing my monthly 12 x 12 x 12 series into 2013, making this my seventh year of working on this series. My creating one mixed media piece on 12" x 12" x 1" board each month has been a wonderful opportunity for me to either experiment with an idea or technique I tried in previous work, or to try an idea or technique I might want to try.

For the piece I created this month, I started investigating intentional repair as seen on this website. A friend brought the topic up at dinner a few months ago, and that led to my thinking about how create work inspired by my putting the parts of the whole back together again.

My January 12 x 12 x 12 piece is the "sketch" for a new series I'm planning on creating very soon. I like that when I broke the grid of a construction fence a part, it started to look like a street map. I love the grids, and I love maps, so creating a new series around this is going to be a lot of fun for me.

It's hard to see in the photo, but the yellowy color is metallic gold paint, which is a paint that I love to use when I can.