Thursday, September 13, 2012

12 x 12 x 12 September 2012


My September 12 x 12 x 12 explores one idea that I have for a potentially new series that I'm thinking of naming (Fence) Shirts and (Hot) Flashes, or something like that.

I had to work quickly on this piece because of many work deadlines as I prepare to go to a two-week art residency at the Millay Colony starting next week, but I did want to try making a sample piece before I go, and doing it as a part of my month 12 x 12 x 12 series was a good opportunity. I see definite possibilities moving forward. Time permitting I will make six pieces in the series while at Millay, and see where it takes me.

I haven't been interested in making autobiographical work, but the idea for this came to me while sweating it out on vacation a few weeks ago. I think this is the first time I've done anything autobiographical since I did a photo self-portrait in art school back in the late 1970's.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. If you want to know more about it, you can read past posts about here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.