Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Artist

Joanne Mattera's post on her Art Blog, Marketing Mondays: In The Ghetto, perfectly explains why I describe myself as a Mixed Media Artist, and why I should probably just call myself an Artist and leave it at that.

If you're an artist, read Joanne's post! And please read Joanie Gagnon San Chirico's post about the same topic too.

If you're a friend of mine and don't understand why I insist on being called a mixed media artist (or an artist) instead of a fiber artist, maybe you'll also read these posts.

Up until a few years ago, in my previous art life, I used specific descriptions when describing myself, and my work, and I only applied to shows that fit within that medium/description. And, my website at the time had the URL of the title I was using to describe myself, instead of my name. I felt pigeonholed, and my art career was going nowhere.

I'm very happy to be printing and painting and sewing and doing collage and etc when making art. My art world has blossomed since I changed my focus and how I describe myself, and my art, and where and how I decide to show it.

Fellow artists, try it yourself. You might feel the same way.