Monday, November 14, 2011

Thinking Out Loud

On Friday, I'm going to be installing work in an empty storefront for the Arlington Windows Project, a streetside gallery at 12 Medford Street in Arlington MA. My work will be there for a month.

Since I've known about this project, I've been trying to decide what I want to exhibit in the windows. Do I want to hang work right on the windows or back from them? Will work that is black/white/grey be seen OK from the sidewalk, the street and from across the street where the Regent Theater goers may be waiting in line? Now that the sun goes down before 5pm, will my work be seen OK even with the spot lights on at night? Questions, questions.

Immediately when I found out when I'd be exhibiting, I took advantage to my temporary studio annex where I can print large work, and I monoprinted two pieces of fabric that are 96" tall x 48" wide that will be The Fence As Lace 13 when finished. My plan was that I'd show them in the diagonal windows. I don't have a picture of them yet because they are unfinished as I write this, but they look similar but bigger to The Fence As Lace #2 (below) which is 60" x 48".

I could also hang The Fence As Lace #11 (above) which is 41" x 13.5" in the skinny window on the right, as per the diagram at the top of this post. And I could hang Weathered Fences #1 (below) which is 48" x 35", in the front left window.


I like the above combination a lot but the three pieces without color may be too dark to be seen, especially at night.


The other option is to only hang Weathered Fences #1, #2 and #3 in the three bigger windows. The red might help them be seen better.


I think what I'll do is finish cutting holes in The Fence As Lace #13, and bring all of the work I mentioned to Arlington on Friday morning, and see how it goes.