Tuesday, October 25, 2011

12 x 12 x 12 October 2011

I have hundreds of "holes" that I cut out of my The Fence As Lace Series and also out of my outdoor art installation, Fence/Curtain 1.0.

I've been thinking since May about what I can do with them and have been uncertain. Two weeks ago, when I was relaxing during an acupuncture session, my mind was wondering, and all of the sudden ideas started to flow.

After my appointment was over, I rushed to my studio and started playing with a handful of "holes", layering them in various ways (an example above), and the end result is my October 12 x 12 x 12 (the image at the top of this post).

I have SO many ideas for more pieces, so shortly, I'm going to creating a new series that incorporates the “holes”. Looking at the boards I already have in my studio, I need to decide if I want to make a dozen or so 12" x 12" pieces with them or do I want to make a half dozen 20" x 24" pieces, or do I want to use another size?

No matter which size I choose, I'll make a series, so I can experiment with different layers and patterns. I'm really looking forward to working on this.

Back to my October 12 x 12 x 12, the 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. If you want to know more about them, you can read past posts about here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.