Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Outdoor Art Installation RFP

I have submitted an RFP for an outdoor art installation. I don't think I'm jinxing it by talking about it since I'm talking in general terms and not specifically about the people who might be commissioning it, nor where it'll be located. I've edited my RFP text below so I'm not giving everything away before I get the OK.

My proposed piece will be made of monoprinted textures of a few different patterns of construction fencing on fabric that will be stiffened and water resistant. The piece will be installed on the outside of the construction site, on the fence surrounding the site. It will be a decorative barrier that reflects the future building.

Holes and flaps will be cut into the piece to allow air to move through it so it doesn’t rip, blow over or become a large kite. The draped part on the sides and the flaps will blow in the wind, which will evoke movement.

While I usually monoprint using black paint on white fabric, consideration can be made to print the main body of the piece with other colors or include highlights.

These are the sketches I made for the RFP. They show the possible piece at different widths of about 10, 20 and 30 feet wide, and also as possibly two sections, mounted at the corner or the fence on two sides, instead of on one long side of the fence.