Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Altered Book


I've been working on an altered book for a show I've been invited to be in called A Novel Idea. I'm not exactly sure if this piece is finished or not yet, because I need to spend some more time thinking about it, but I thought I'd post pictures of it to share.


The history of the book is that it was a 575 page psychology book, published in 1979, that was gifted to me. My plan was to I cut all of the pages out of the book, and substitute them with 28 or so new pages of monoprinted textures of various construction fences patterns.


The new "pages" are made of fabric that is stiffened with watered down matt medium so they feel more paper-like. Before adding them to the book, I cut holes out of the edges of the stiffened fabric, following the pattern of the monoprinted fences. I had seven different patterns of "pages" that varied in size, pattern, density of paint and/or holes cut in them, to work with.


I then cut about 20 pages out of the book at a time, and glued alternating patterns of the new "pages" in the book every 20 pages.


Shown in reverse order are some pictures of the altered book as I was making it. My plan at the present time is to exhibit the book open, as it's shown in the top photo, though everything is subject to change if I so decide. I do have until November to finalize or re-do this project.


When I was invited to be in A Novel Idea, it was while I was at my two week residency at the Vermont Studio Center, working on my Fences As Lace Series. I immediately started thinking about lace-like fabric pages spilling out of the book. I think I've accomplished that. The "pages" also sort of remind me of my curly/wavy hair.


As I mentioned above, I'm not exactly sure if this piece is finished or not yet. Between now and the mid-November due date, I'll be thinking about what else I this book might need, in terms of color or whatever. It probably doesn't need anymore pattern or texture, but who knows.


If you want to comment or give me some constructive feedback about what you see here, please write to me at jeanne@jeannewilliamson.com, or comment on my facebook page.


A Novel Idea will be on exhibit at the Hampden Gallery Incubator Project Space at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, MA from December 11, 2011 to February 20, 2012.