Sunday, May 15, 2011

Artist Residency - 7 days


I've been here at my artist residency for a week now. I am amazed at how much work I have created. Everything is really large. Bigger than I've ever worked ever. I've had ideas about making pieces like these for many years, and it's really nice to be able to finally do it. And I like the new work. It feels like a dream.

I was planning on give this new work two different names. The wall hung work The Fence as Lace, or Construction Fence Lace. The installation pieces I'm working on were going to be called Fences for Girls or something similar, to make one think about sexism.

I've spoken to a few people here in their 30's, 40's and 50's about the name, and got a good response. One guy who teaches on the college level said I really needed to think it through and have a good artist's statement. One women I've talked to via email who is in her 70's has a completely different perspective than I do about it, and had a very strong opinion about not giving it that name.

I think I've decided to have the whole body of work, both wall hung and installations, be under the title of The Fence as Lace (or something similar), which in a way still can lead one to thinking about sexism without it knocking anyone over the head.