Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pretend Interview

When I read the Fall 2010 Magazine of the Institute of Contemporary Art / Boston, I really enjoyed the interviews they had entitled "The Nine Artists Nominated for the 2010 James and Audrey Foster Prize Answer A Few Questions."


I am reasonably sure that I will never ever be on a list of people to consider for that honor, so seeing that I have been interviewed twice in the last few weeks, I thought I'd use many of the ICA's questions, some which are different than other questions I've been asked, to interview myself. Here goes:


Name the artist who has influenced you the most:

Chuck Close. I love his brilliance, his use of grids and color, the scale of his work, and how he revisits his subject matter over time. Read my blog post about his talk at the MFA Boston.


What music do you listen to while you're working in your studio?

I usually listen to NPR news and talk shows. I find that the different topics of conversation keep my mind moving. I learn new things about topics I may never had the time to explore, and I can hear different points of view. It keeps me focused on my work without getting too into my own head.


What do you like best about your current studio?

The walls and the good light, and the amount of (table) space I have allows me to work on a number of projects at the same time.


What gadget/tool could you not live without (in or outside of the studio)?

My sewing machines. I use it frequently when creating my art work, and also when adapting my clothing, repairing my husband's jeans, and when creating things for my home.


If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would that be?

There are actually two people I'd like to have dinner with, one alive and one not. Caroline Kennedy, who I've always wanted to meet, and also my father, who died 35 years ago today.