Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 (Art) Reflections

2010 was a year of growth, change, and risk in my art making. Here are the highlights:


The biggest change and growth was that all of the work I created in 2010 was mixed media on boards or canvases, or on stiffened fabric. I have totally stopped quilting my work, and it was a long overdue and a very good decision for me. I am still using mostly monoprinted (and stitched) fabric in my work, but the presentation is that it's mainly mounted on boards, and there is no quilt batting anywhere.


I participated in a number of exhibits this past year. One was in a two person show with Catherine Carter called "Walls and Webs" at the Narrows Center for the Arts in Fall River, MA. Our work is very different, and it looks really good together in the same space. I hope we get to show together again some time.


I also exhibited in five groups shows. The most exciting for me was The "7th International Fiber Biennial," at the Snyderman-Works Galleries, in Philadelphia, PA! Other shows include "thINK," the Boston Printmakers Members 2010 Show, "icons + altars," at the New Art Center in Newton, MA, the "Community of Artists Juried Exhibition," at the Danforth Museum of Art in Framingham, MA.


One very different exhibit that I participated in, which was a change and also a risk, was my first outdoor sculpture show called the "Studios Without Walls 2010" along the Muddy River in Riverway Park in Brookline, MA. That was the good news. The bad news was that the main part of my sculpture was stolen!!! Ugh! Lessons learned from this experience were; don't assume anything (like no one would ever want to steal or vandalize your work because anything is possible) when you exhibit outside in a public space, and also that insuring your art work is well worth it, because some day you might unfortunately need to use it!


The second biggest change this year, was after working in my in-home studio after 25+ years, I moved into a studio space in downtown Natick MA in late September. It's a small space but it's a good one for me. There is a lot of wall space for me to use when creating new work, and also to exhibit finished work. I have a lot of table space for when I'm working flat, the light is good, and it's only a seven minute drive from home to there. Very convenient! I'm very happy and grateful to have this space.