Monday, October 18, 2010

12 x 12 x 12 October 2010


In between setting up my new studio space and getting ready for Natick Open Studios this past weekend, I was able to work on, and finish, my October 12 x 12 x 12. Actually, I worked on it as I also worked on Fence Details #13-20 over the past few weeks.

As I was readying this piece for mounting on canvas, I though I'd leave it just as it was, a simple printed, painted and stitched grid, but then I thought back to Chuck Close's talk from last Wednesday, when he said "Comfort is the enemy of the artist," so I played with adding more layers to the grid.

Above is the result. I am MUCH happier with it than I was beforehand. I had it hanging on the wall during Open Studios and I got great feedback about it from many people. I really enjoyed discussing it, since it's my newest piece.

I have always felt a bit guilty recycling or revisiting specific ideas and images, but after Mr. Close also said "I recycle images," in regard to how he used Phillip Glass's image many times, including 42 years later, I'm planning on revisiting the idea behind this piece, and another done in July 2007 and work on a new series on boards. I have many ideas.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" canvas. If you want to know more about the 12 x 12 x 12 series, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.