Monday, September 27, 2010

12 x 12 x 12 September 2010



During the month, I slowly worked on my September 12 x 12 x 12 piece, which is a part of my monthly series. I printed a construction fence with white paint on the off-white fabric that was once my living room curtains. I've been trying very hard to find a way to use this very fragile fabric, which I loved dearly as curtains, as part of an upcoming series on boards.

For my July 12 x 12 x 12, I also used the fabric and ended up with a dark piece after monoprinting with black paint. I was hoping the white paint would do well this time. Unfortunately, I should not have mounted the white printed fabric on a white canvas because the white print totally disappeared. I should have anticipated that. If I try printing with white again, I'll need to have a dark background to mount the light fabric on since it's very sheer.

I'll keep messing around with pieces of this fabric until I get it right, and then I'll start working on the new series with it. In the mean time, I do like this piece, which is extremely light for me, and definitely something to pursue.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" canvas. If you want to know more about the series, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.