Friday, July 9, 2010

12 x 12 x 12 July 2010


This month, for my July 12 x 12 x 12, I decided to use a piece of what used to be my living room curtains, which I loved dearly but had to retire because they were starting to disintegrate. They were cotton organza, and they had many pockets sewn on them which I inserted seasonal silk leaves and flowers that I changed twice a year.

I'll explain and post pictures of the curtains shortly. I saved the five panels of curtains because I plan on using them as the basis one of the new series I'm about to start working on.

For my July piece, I monoprinted and painted a piece of the curtains, then I stitched the organza gently because it's so delicate, and then I mounted the fabric on canvas. Now that it's mounted, it's rock solid. The piece of fabric will never fall apart any more.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" canvas. If you want to know more about the 12 x 12 x 12 series, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.