Sunday, February 28, 2010

Weathered Fence Series / Studio Space


Today I coated the first of my three new (so far) "Weathered Fence" series fabric with matt medium to stiffen it. I realized that the fabric is 36" plus wide, which is wider than my usual drying place, my shower stall. Uh-oh.

Since we have company coming over this afternoon, I didn't want to let it dry in the downstairs bathroom, above the bathtub, because I don't want anyone to get covered in partially dry matt medium, and also because I didn't want to clutter up my downstairs with art in progress. What to do?

I realized I could hang the fabric up with a stick, suspended from the top of my bedroom door to across to the top of my attic door. Also unsightly, but none's going to bump in to it until bedtime, when I'll move it to some other location.

I have totally grown out of my in home studio space. I need a bigger studio, but I don't see that happening in the near future. My only alternative at the moment is to clean, straighten and organize my space after I have all the work completed for my show with Catherine Carter, at the Narrows Center for the Arts in Fall River MA. I will also need to plan carefully, especially when I make large pieces.

As a side note, seeing the first of these pieces hanging up to dry has given me the opportunity to see it vertically, as opposed to lying on my table, and I'm happy with the results so far. It'll be even better when I cut holes in it so it looks my like a weathered construction fence.