Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Trying Something New


Operation "apply fabric to artists' boards" is working out very well!

I'm monoprinting and painting on fabric, as per usual, and I'm stitching it as per usual, but there's no quilt batting. It's just fabric.


I'm attaching it to the boards by applying 50% matt medium and 50% water to the board and the fabric, and I'm liking the results.

The fabric doesn't look at all like fabric after it's been applied to the board. The stitching to adds texture, and it looks great. I've been experimenting with silk organza and cotton sheeting, and with different amounts of stitching. I've been happy with stitching that is minimal and also heavily stitched pieces.


I like the different presentation, and I think it's more professional looking than attaching the quilted pieces on canvas. Not that they don't look good too, but this is much less crafty.

I've been experimenting with six 6" x 6" x .75" cradeled panels, and I have a dozen 10" x 10" x 1.5" cradeled panels that I'm also going to play with.


I have four new pieces I'm working on that are 24" x 48" and I need to decide quickly if I want to use batting or if I want to mount them on cradeled panels or canvas. I can't seem to find panels that are the right size, or that I can piece together. I can find 24" x 48" canvas, and it is affordable.


If I decide to use panels or canvas for the large pieces, I have a bit of a storage problem because my studio is tiny and my storage is minimal. Hmmm. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I need to decide ASAP. These pieces need to be finished by the end of February because I'm planning on hanging them in a two-person show I'm going to be in with Catherine Carter named "Walls and Webs," at the Narrows Center for the Arts, Fall River, MA from March 17 - April 17, 2010.